Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mind your own business.

By this point, most people who know I am pregnant know that we are not planning to find out the sex of the baby. Their opinions are split about 50/50. Half think it's awesome to wait, and the other half feel if it were their choice, they either couldn't wait to find out or are just planners and would want to know in advance. I don't expect everyone to agree with the decision, but I do expect people to be polite about it. And this week, I came across someone who crossed the line and was overly pushy and rude about my choice, and it really pissed me off.

It was a coworker, and one who is usually so incredibly nice. He asked when we would find out the sex, and I told him we weren't planning on it. I got the typical response at first..."but how will you plan your nursery?" and "what about the clothes?" I explained my position on both: the nursery will be bright and cheerful, not gender-specific and the clothes will be pajamas for the first few months, so who cares? Then he kept pushing. He even used the word "crazy." I again explained that we thought it would be a great surprise and that we weren't planning on buying many gender-specific items, because we plan on having more kids. And he kept pushing. Then, he actually insulted me. He said that the "surprise" of finding out the sex at birth was actually "anti-climactic," and that I would probably not care at that point because I had just gone through labor.

Um, excuse me? First of all, it's none of your damn business what I do. If you don't agree, smile and nod and get the hell out of my way. Secondly, you don't know whether it would be anti-climactic, because you found out the sex of your baby before birth, so you really don't have any idea what that would be like. Third, when I tell you at least five times in the conversation that this is what WE want, the decision that is best for US, shut the hell up.

I'm sure this will not be the last time I come across someone who has their own ideas about my plan. And don't get me wrong, I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with my decisions. What I do expect, however, is common courtesy and respect. Be polite. Smile and nod, you know?

So, let's get to the baby bump, shall we? It's really bumping these days. This week, James wanted to shoot the pictures at the car wash down the street. Because nothing says "We're having a baby" like a car wash?? No. For at least the last three years, the car wash has had a sign out front that says "Big changes coming soon." And well, big changes are coming soon to the Dvorscak household, so we took the pictures under the sign. Just in case the car wash decides after three years to actually make big changes.



No comments:

Post a Comment