Saturday, July 4, 2009

Crafting my brains out...

Happy Birthday, America! In celebration of your birthday, I have been sewing. Uhh, really, the sewing is in celebration of a couple of days off. Sorry.

First up, a skirt. My very first skirt. Now that I know how simple they are to make, I'm sure it won't be my last. Lucky for me, I can make a skirt out of less than a yard of fabric. I purchased this fabric for about $5 a yard, so that skirt cost me maybe three bucks. And no one else has one like it! Yippee!!

Next project: pillows for my patio set. The set actually came with pillows, they just happened to be horribly ugly. So, I convinced my husband to go to Joann fabrics with me to pick out some new fabric for the pillows. Joann had their outdoor fabric on sale last week for 50% off, but I didn't buy any then because I wanted James' opinion, or rather, his blessing. He happens to have a very good eye for design, so I take advantage of it when I can. Plus, he uses the patio furniture, too, so he shouldn't absolutely loathe the fabric that's on the pillows, right? Anyway, we get there today and the damn fabric isn't on sale anymore. I don't care. I justify buying it full price ($16 a yard) by reminding myself that if I were to buy pre-made pillows, I would pay three times that. So, what does any self-respecting cheapo do? I deconstruct the original pillows, reusing the piping and stuffing to make the gorgeous and fun new pillows!

My last project was totally unplanned, but brilliant. We were perusing the Pottery Barn this afternoon, and I happened upon a bright, floral pillow cover, on sale for $3. Well, anything that the Pottery Barn is selling for three bucks must be purchased out of principle, right? When I get to the counter to pay for it, turns out it isn't a pillow cover at all...it's a placemat! AND...it was actually $1.97! Hell yeah! I took that sucker home and promptly deconstructed it (this girl would never dispose of fabric). The placemat became a pillow cover! Gorgeousness! I can't wait to enjoy margaritas on my patio with my lovely new pillows.

No comments:

Post a Comment