Thursday, June 25, 2009

The King is dead

And I'm not talking about Elvis, folks. Yes, Elvis was the King...of rock and roll. But my musical tastes are of the pop variety, and my age makes me a child of the 1980s, so my King was Michael Jackson.

We all know he was strange, weird, bizarre, whatever. And he was, with all the plastic surgery, the hyperbaric chamber, and Bubbles the Chimp. Not to mention the "I like boys to sleep in my bed" saga. But what can't be denied is that the man was a musical genius. He was put on this earth to be a pop sensation like no other.

I was 5 years old when Thriller was released. I specifically remember opening the album and seeing the picture of Michael with the tiger cub, the way the photo was soft, almost blurry. Never before and not since, has there been an album of absolute perfection, song by song. My personal favorite...P.Y.T! His music was synonymous with my childhood. My mom used to play Thriller and when Vincent Price laughed at the end, she would turn up the volume REALLY LOUD and I would laugh. It's one of my favorite childhood memories, and to this day, I call mom on Halloween and do the same thing.

There was alot of talk lately about a Michael Jackson comeback. I never thought he would "come back" to his glory days. It just wasn't realistic. But I never dreamed he would die at 50 years old. His music will surely live on, though, and when I have a little girl, I'll play Thriller for her and turn up the speakers, and she'll laugh, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment