Saturday, June 25, 2011

Halvsies

I am now officially halfway through this pregnancy. I can't believe it! It seems like it's gone by so fast already. In honor of my halfway point, I thought I would revisit this post and check in on my progress. Here is what I wrote back in March, with my post edits:

I will:
1.) Wear high heels throughout my entire pregnancy.
2.) Work out. (hahaha)
3.) Strive to thrift or refashion the majority of my maternity clothes.
4.) Have a natural childbirth experience with a midwife.
5.) Read a book on natural childbirth and a book about breastfeeding.
6.) Take a picture of myself every week and make a photobook documenting this pregnancy.

POST EDIT:
1.) Still rockin' the heels, baby.
2.) Working out about 2x per week. Not as often as I'd like, but it's something!
3.) While I haven't thrifted any clothes, really, I can say I have not spent more than $20 on any one maternity item I have bought. Furthermore, I have actually converted a couple of non-maternity items I already owned into maternity. For free!
4.) TBD
5.) Check and check.
6.) I think I have missed two or three weeks so far. I kind of lost track because of vacation.


I won't:
1.) Gain more than 30 pounds.
2.) Eat for two people.
3.) Find out the sex of the baby.
4.) Eat raw sushi, feta or gorgonzola cheese (just kill me now), or drink alcohol.
5.) Dedicate all Faceboook posts to pregnancy or baby-related topics.
6.) Act like I am the only woman who has ever had a baby.

POST EDIT:
1.) As of 20 weeks, my total weight gain was seven pounds. If I gain about a pound a week for the rest of my pregnancy (which is normal), that would put me at 27 pounds total pregnancy weight gain. Not too bad. Let's see if I can keep it up.
2.) I have not been gluttonous. I snack in the morning on almonds and in the afternoon on dried apricots or a granola bar. My meals are relatively healthy.
3.) We had our ultrasound and were not tempted at all to find out the sex, and I don't anticipate this changing!
4.) Um, OK...I have stumbled here, but only because I have read that it's actually OK to indulge in these things at a minimum. I have had probably 3 pieces of raw sushi. Don't even try and tell me that pregnant women in Japan do not eat raw fish! And it turns out that feta and gorgonzola are totally OK as long as they are pasturized. As for alcohol, I have had sips of James' beer/wine/margaritas, but never more than a sip. And I totally drank O'Douls on vacation. Hey, it made me feel like I was drinking beer on the beach, and let's be honest, what's a beach without beer??
5.) I probably err on the side of more pregnancy-related posts than not. But I try to be cognizant of it. I would grade myself a C on this one.
6.) Hmmm, I just asked James what he thought about this one, and he said that I have not been acting this way. I'll agree.

So, overall I would say I've been pretty good about following my rules. James told me yesterday that he was pleased I have not had the raging pregnancy hormones (read: total bitchiness and/or weepiness) that he's heard about. I really have felt much like my regular self...plenty of energy, overall pleasant mood and no weird cravings. But when I look at myself in the mirror, I cannot believe how my body has changed. I wasn't sure how I would feel about that, but I can say that it's really....awesome. It's totally weird in the sense that my stomach has always been relatively flat, and right now it looks like I have swallowed a bowling ball. But I feel the baby moving in there now and I wouldn't trade that for a flat stomach any day.

Speaking of bowling balls...here's my 20 week picture. We went bowling with some friends and I just couldn't resist!

No comments:

Post a Comment